Friday, January 23, 2015

Arrival in Paris

Paris, the city of love. 

We arrived very early in the morning, about 7:30am Paris time. Now is the time to mention that Paris is 6 hours ahead of Florida time (which we had adjusted to when there for the holidays).  Neither of us slept on the flight.  We arrive at baggage claim and were so happy to see our bags! We then realize we didn't plan on how to get to the apartment from the airport. So, we found out there was a bus that could take us from the airport to the center of Paris.  Before we left the airport, we thought we needed to have the rest of the rent for the apartment in Euros, so we tried to pull out some money.  After buying the bus tickets our bank put a hold on our account.  We hoped for the best and got on the bus.

Once we get to the bus stop, we realized we didn't know where we were!! So, we hailed a taxi and got to the apartment.  We could've walked, but considering we couldn't tell east from west and had all of our luggage, we just paid the fare and didn't think twice about it.

We arrive to our apartment, which presents to us as a huge door with a code box out front.  I pull out the reservation and contract and find the code. 

One hurdle down.  Then we walk in through a hallway and find our selves in a courtyard with many doors.  We felt like Alice.  We looked again at the contract and followed the instructions.    

Into door B we go.  Hurdle two down.  We have to make it to the sixth floor with four suitcases, a backpack, and a satchel. We enter door B and see a TINY elevator surrounded by a circular staircase.

We can't read the instructions on the side of the elevator because of course it is in French.  All I could make out, from my little bit of French training in high school,  was that it didn't seem to say anything about "do not ride" or "do not use." Brendan says he will go first, with his suitcases. After he manages to squeeze in the elevator, by stacking his suitcases upright on each other, he closes the door and pushes floor 5.

 (This photo is actually of the LARGER elevator we used the rest of the trip).

Hurdle 3 down? Not quite.  As he ascends, there is a small window in the elevator door, and I see him and the elevator go up a few inches, down a few inches, up a few inches, down a few inches, up....clanking the entire way up.  I was terrified for him!  I wait about 15 minutes, and nothing.  No Brendan coming back down to get me or to tell me to take the elevator up.  So, I yell "Brendan?" about 5 times.  I hear suitcases rolling around above my head, but no answer from Brendan. Ok, that's it...I decide to climb the stairs with all my luggage. I was sure Brendan was abducted and somehow I was going to get him out of it.  Now I am clink clanging the entire way up the staircase.  I get to the top, and a few seconds later, I see Brendan's smiling face.  " I found Patrick!"  Patrick is who we were renting the place from.  I was terrified and just walked 5 flights of stairs with 80 pounds. But, all is well, because we now know where we are going....or so I thought. Brendan then says he doesn't know how to get back to the apartment. I had to just laugh!  Eventually we start walking down a hall and Patrick arrives.  Brendan and Patrick help carry my luggage up the last flight of stairs to the sixth floor (which was only accessible in one hallway).  Yay, we've arrived at the apartment. Whew!!!

Our apartment was so wonderful....TINY, but wonderful. We had all we needed.  Patrick gave us some tips about Paris, accepted credit card (which I got working after calling the bank) and then left. We spent a few minutes there wrapping our heads around the fact we were in Paris.  Then we hit the streets!




No comments:

Post a Comment